Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  General Game Stuff
| |-+  Information (Moderator: Sicro)
| | |-+  Another lesson in why you should have an authenticator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Another lesson in why you should have an authenticator  (Read 1249 times)
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« on: November 03, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »

A guy I'm friendly with had his account hacked today.  He is an old-timey WoW guy, been around since the game came out.  Full set of ICC 25 gear, probably close to a dozen special/rare mounts and saints alone know how many special pets, 70k+ gold, 4 fully-equipped level 80 toons, etc., etc.  Blizz is working with him now to reconstruct, but it's likely he won't get everything.  Even if he does, they apparently don't like giving gold back.  So he gets to go into Cata destitute.

Please, friends, pay the $6 bucks and get an authenticator or the iPhone app.  Don't be the guy above.  Not for $6 of preventiuon.
Chaulmers

Angry Gnome

simpsonsboy182
Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

Zao was hacked with the authenticator.

I dont get it, if its that much of an issue why not just make it free for everyone(not just the iphone people)? Shouldnt they be trying to protect their players?

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »

$6 is probably just covering their costs.  They don't include them with the games because a lot of people can get them free via their iPhones.

Given that iPhones are easily lost or damaged, though, I think I'll stick with my authenticator.
Chaulmers

Angry Gnome

simpsonsboy182
Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:21 AM »

For 13-15 bucks a month(depending on your payment plan) I would expect better security. Thats all Tongue I mean I know its not cheap to operate servers but they are making money hand over fist and this just seems like a service that should automatically be provided to keep the player's account in tact.

Also I wonder what is cheaper, giving everyone a free authenticator or paying someone to go through and give back all the stuff and do research. I mean if you make the accounts so hard to hack that no1 will want to hack them you will have less hackers in theory right? Although then you would have less 1 time accounts....maybe thats it, they need to keep the hacker market going to increase their subs!

CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: