Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 09:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  General Game Stuff
| |-+  New Game Content
| | |-+  WoW - Cataclysm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: WoW - Cataclysm  (Read 2961 times)
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »

I was noticing that the are apparently "re-doing" Blackrock Mountain.  I'm not quite sure what that means.  If we look at it, they are moving Ragnaros out, so maybe no more Molten Core, yes?  Also, with Deathwing back (and is Nefarion still alive in Lore?  He was a dead baddie before BC came out from the WoW point of view) BWL might be gone as well.  If Nefarion is still around he's not going to be defiant against a nutso aspect like Deathwing.  And what about UBRS and LBRS and BRD?  I haven't thought about Blackrock in a long time, but that place really was sort of a one-stop shop for raiding and 10-mans for a long time.
Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

I really don't think in terms of rehash so much for this.  I've seen videos that demonstrated how much artwork would have to be done or re-done for flying mounts to be used in Azeroth.  If they had to re-do it anyway, why not take the opportunity to re-do it differently?

I do hope they don't just make everything a big crater or desert, though.  I really do like the lusher landscapes that a lot of classic WoW boasted.

I wouldn't fear that. If you've seen the art they've shown off so far, Azeroth hasn't just become a wasteland. The Barrens, for example, are finally now a thriving landscape (notwithstanding the big crack in the middle dividing it).

To your other point, I didn't get the impression that they were re-doing BRM, just adding a new instance onto it. The understanding I got from the panel at Blizzcon was that existing dungeons in BRM will not be removed, just that a new instance portal will be added to Nefarian's lair (the non-instanced version, not the one inside the BWL raid).

As far as Nefarian's lore status goes, he should be dead. Rule of thumb is that if something dies as part of a quest, they're lore-dead... and the quest had us turning his head in, so that's pretty damn dead. The only thing that puzzles me is that they talked about having Nefarian in this new instance, so maybe they're planning to retcon the existing lore?
Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »

As far as Nefarian's lore status goes, he should be dead. Rule of thumb is that if something dies as part of a quest, they're lore-dead... and the quest had us turning his head in, so that's pretty damn dead. The only thing that puzzles me is that they talked about having Nefarian in this new instance, so maybe they're planning to retcon the existing lore?

I believe they said they are redoing Onyxia's Lair as well, so clearly the wonder twins are back somehow. My guess is Deathwing reanimated 'em as undead or something.

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:31 AM »

Onyxia's lair is different. They've said that the revamp has no lore significance whatsoever, they're just bringing the encounter back. She's still dead. I'd say the same thing applied to Nefarian, too, except they aren't revamping BWL, they're making a whole new instance. Undeath is possible as an explanation for Nefarian being there, but personally, I smell a retcon.
Chaulmers

Angry Gnome

simpsonsboy182
Email
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 12:36:22 AM »

Guys I think the real question is what about Maraudon?

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »

According to the wiki the lore states that Onyxia was killed by the returning Varian Wrynn after she hightailed it to her lair and kidnapped Anduin. 

Nefarion is a bit more murky.  He is apparenly no confirmed dead, but mention of his "failure" by a questgiver implies he might be.  Nefarion is also apparently featured in the new Blackwing Descent" instance in cataclysm.
Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »

I call shenanigans.

I cut off both those fools' heads. I bathed an unfinished sword in her fiery breath, plunged it into her rapidly-cooling body and quenched it in her blood, and forged it into Quel'Serrar. That chick was stone-cold dead. I definitely saw Nefarian's head hanging from the archway into Stormwind, right across from his sister's on the opposite arch. Varian Wrynn didn't do squat except return from nowhere after being held captive by a bunch of Nagas that I can solo all day long.

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »

I call shenanigans.

I cut off both those fools' heads. I bathed an unfinished sword in her fiery breath, plunged it into her rapidly-cooling body and quenched it in her blood, and forged it into Quel'Serrar. That chick was stone-cold dead.

True story - i watched him do it..

I definitely saw Nefarian's head hanging from the archway into Stormwind, right across from his sister's on the opposite arch. Varian Wrynn didn't do squat except return from nowhere after being held captive by a bunch of Nagas that I can solo all day long.
I'm more interested about this - and what ever happened to his kid?  That little boy in stormwind would be well in to his teens by now. . .

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

Two words for ya, Van--Body Double.

Sucker.

As for the kid, Varian rescued him when he killed Onyxia.  I think he's in the castle now, in the room off the throne room.  He seems kinda short-bus to me that kid, but then he DID have Onyxia messing with his head for four years.
Chaulmers

Angry Gnome

simpsonsboy182
Email
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »

Maybe they will bring back The Windriders and Obscured Reasoning.

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

The new Coliseum and the announcement for Icecrown fill me with glee.  One thing I have sort of learned to loathe are the mega-long instance crawls.  Places like BT or Ulduar are just too freaking big.  Even naxx had some really painful run-back points.  It's nice that Ulduar has teleporters and all, but I've never really felt the need for an instance qith 10+ bosses in it.

I thought I would hate the coliseum.  A one-room instance looked like the epitome of lazy design to me.  But I find the fights are interesting and challenging, and I like the ending.  Not bad at all.  The way they are doing Icecrown, now that sound almost Scarlet Monastery to me.  Basically there will be three "wings," all of which are done separately (like SM).  Each one needs to be cleared in turn before you can access the next one (or one time unlock it, I'm a little sketchy on this bit).  Once you do the third one you can hit the frozen Throne itself to fight Arthas.  I'm not sure how big that portion will be but if they keep it not too long it ought to be pretty fun.

If they keep that sort of approach for Cataclysm it should be pretty cool.

What do others think of that?  Do you prefer the really long instances with tons of bosses, or shorter, more focused instances?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: