Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 02:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  General Game Stuff
| |-+  New Game Content
| | |-+  WoW - Cataclysm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: WoW - Cataclysm  (Read 2959 times)
Anessa
Class Leader

« on: August 14, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »

Gnome priest? Tauren paladin? Goblins and worgens??? Sounds quite exciting.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=92919.0
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »

Blizzcon has come and gone and pretty much everything mentioned above was confirmed, except some of the npc stuff.

-So, no new continent, per se, but they are going to drastically re-do Azeroth.
-2 new races, both with new starting zones for level 1-15.
-flight in Azeroth
-re-done instances with higher levels.  (Deadmines, for instance, will be a lvl 85 heroic.)
-level 85 cap, with leveling getting a lot more difficult, potentially.
-Also a lot of new ideas to check out.

I'm pretty excited about a lot of what I'm hearing.  They are actually removing a number of mechanics from the game and repolacing them with stat-driven metrics.  I like that.  The game is getting kind of complex for new people to jump onto.  This will also simplify gear choices a bit, and maybe fix the "BIS" obsessivness we see now.

The trailer and panel discussion I heard gave a real sense that they were bringing back the "epic" feel of the game.  Our enemies now will again be giants, things like huge elementals and dragons.  They are getting back to that a bit already with the Coliseum, and I like it.

Busting up Azeroth and changing things around (and letting us fly around to see it) sounds really neat to me.  It sounds like they are also planning fairly heavy use of phased questing in some areas, so that the landscape changes as quests are completed.  I'm not sure how they will pull that off, since such quests would tend to be either ridiculously high-or-low leveldepending on the level of the zone, for one, and what happens if people decide not to do the quests at all?  Will they even be able to function in that zone?  It's a neat riddle.  I look forward to the answer.

I'm also gleeful that most of the zones in Azeroth aren't normally just overcast grey moonscapes or overcast white moonscapes, like the past two expansions have given us.  It'll be nice to play in the sun and stars again.  Even if a lot of the ground is kind of blasted.  Hmm.  You don't suppose they're going for the moonscape thing again, do you???

Some of the art looks really, really good, too.

All-in-all, this might be the shot in the arm that my WoW experience has been craving.  I'm guessing we are looking at about this time next year.  The last patch for LK is prolly going to come out around Christmas this year (if not sooner).  We're going to be jonesing for something new within 4 months of that, I'd estimate.  Blizz has said in the past that they wanted to get these things closer to the one-year release schedule, so we'll see.
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »

Man, this topic's deader than Obama's health-care initiative.  No one has any thoughts on the expansion?
Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

Man, this topic's deader than Obama's health-care initiative.  No one has any thoughts on the expansion?

CASUALS DONT DESERV EPIX JUST LIKE THEY DONT DESERV HEALTH CAER!
Ogun

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »

WoW is old news... the new hot thing is World of World of Warcraft:  http://www.babelgum.com/3015429/the-onion-warcraft-sequel-lets-gamers-play-character-playing-warcraft.html
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »

Jax -

The expansion is so up in the air for me.  Snis/Helwin were at my house when the information was (officially) released at blizzcon, and we tossed around a lot of ideas about what Cataclysm might be and what it might not be.  I'm not sure we came to a consensus on whether or not we were thrilled or not about the xpac, but our curiosity was certainly high.

Redoing stats is probably the biggest thing i'm seeing in this expansion.  Look at the 'big' changes in previous XPacs:

BC/WotLK/Cataclysm: 
New continent (outland/Lorderon/...old content rehashed)
New Classes (horde got pally and alliance got shaman, deathknight, nothing (or more old content rehashed))
New bosses from the past/lore (Illidan+Vashj+Kael'Thas+Archimonde, Illidan+Big SPider Dude, ...ragnaros and deathwing?  Aren't those dudes dead?)

It just seems like they're saying "Level 60 was so good; let's do that again!"  Gah, i'm so pessimistic these days...

On the bright side:

I do look forward to an 'easier' WoW (in regards to gear).  The path of the titans could be amazing (or just another time sink).  We've seen old-content rehashed (nax at 80, for example), and it's not all bad - in fact, I quite enjoyed Nax (both when it was a challenge and even now).  *shrug*  Ultimately I'll have fun as long as my friends are online and i'm hitting 1 or 2 buttons. Smiley

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »

I wonder about the rehash aspect too, but at the same time it appears it may be wrong to think in those terms.  One of the reasons that the cataclysm wasn't so hard to do was that they had to basically re-do a full continent (or more) of art to allow flying mounts in Azeroth anyway.  so there might be a lot more to the continents than a simple rehash of past things.  Some thoughts that occurred:

-Aszhara is now a mid-20's horde zone.  This doesn't break my heart, that zone was always a pain.
-Hyjal unlocked.
-Gilneas unlucked.
-The zone east of Grim Batol unlocked.
-Isn't there a zone down by Swamp of Sorrows that is currently locked as well?
-Also, the gobbos have a starting zone up to around l20 now.

I'm not so alarmed by the lack of a new class.  I'm more pleased about the possibility of streamlining game mechanics so there isn't as much to track.  I'd also be pleased of more of us could go back to emulating Frosh's few buttons to mash--I feel I spend too much time looking at bars and timers and not as much time enjoying the fight these days.  I saw a video someone did, sort of a tour of Ulduar--the place is really, really beautiful.  I've hardly noticed.  That's the sort of thing I used to love about places like Kara, the artwork in there was great.

I also like the idea of being able to "Cheat" a character.  With the new character/faction changes I wonder if it would be possible to, say, roll a wolf-themed warrior today, level him up, then just pay $30 to change him into a worgen when the xpac comes out?  Hmm...  Of course, then you miss all the fluff and phased questing from a low-level standpoint...

Some of the new encounters/old encounters are fine with me too.  Ragnaros isn't going to be in the core anymore.  It's assumed he's been banished back to the elemental plane, where he's bigger and badder.  Deathwing we've never seen before, but he sort of defines "epic." 

Overall, I agree it doesn't have the same air as "new" that we've had before.  In fact, the trailer sounded more like a news broadcast than a storyboard.  "earthquakes in Azeroth!  Goblins flee isles!  Read all about it!"  Still, it seems to indicate that they are re-thinking the whole leveling experience and trying to make end game stuff more funnerer again, so I like those ideas.  And for siome reason a green Desolace...just tickles me.  I hate that place now.
Sicro
Why me?
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »

you hate desolace because I left your mount-less behind there and ran off with Aspect of the Pack so long ago...

So...Are these rules or guidelines?
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »

The bird ride back to Theramore was so long that I had time to go take a freaking shower, dry off, comb my hair, come back and was STILL in the air.  And no repair guy.  For a while there was no repair guy for Alliance there.  And packs of hyenas that would jump you when you weren't looking.  And centaurs.  Stupid centaurs.

The horror of that place.  The horror.
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

I seem to recall there was a 'fork' in the questline there (in desolace) to choose a faction to represent amongst those horse-people guys...I'm kind've hoping blizzard will pull the ultimate "screw you" move and use those factions to determine whether you get +spirit enchants or +strength enchants - based on what you did 4+ years ago Smiley

Sicro
Why me?
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »

best old timer stories were the long flights from Darkshore to Theramore which would sometimes result in a log off because of the lack of activity... well before the true Hero of WoW - Captain Placeholder

Of course, also before Captain Placeholder, you had to be on your toes when you took public transportation - never knew when it disappear and leave you stranded in the middle of the ocean (or falling to your death from the horde zepplins).  Although once the system hiccuped so hard that my boat ride from Menthil Harbor to Theramore dropped us all thousands of feet above the Dalaran Purple Ball of Love...

So...Are these rules or guidelines?
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »

Of course, also before Captain Placeholder, you had to be on your toes when you took public transportation - never knew when it disappear and leave you stranded in the middle of the ocean (or falling to your death from the horde zepplins).  Although once the system hiccuped so hard that my boat ride from Menthil Harbor to Theramore dropped us all thousands of feet above the Dalaran Purple Ball of Love...

Augh, more Desolace nightmare time....
Once, on a boat From Theramore (pre=Placeholder), my ship warped space and time and "shipwrecked" in Desolace, sort of half in the sand and half out (the boats would sometimes do that, or just dump you in "fatigue" water to die a horrid rez-sick death).  No one was ever amused when the warlock was the last one to the party...
Chaulmers

Angry Gnome

simpsonsboy182
Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »

I might actually return to wow full time for this xpac. I loved old wow, and yea you can call me a nostalgic idiot who is just buying into blizzards clever ruse to get more money out of people who might have quit, but dammit i am excited for this xpac! I will see you guys in a year when it comes out. I was not excited at all for Wotlk, BC I was pumped for but then greatly disappointed and missied classic wow. I have not really played Wotlk, in fact I have a DK but i have yet to bring him to the new content in Wotlk.

-Troll out.

P.S. I am pretty sure there is still that area in duskwood that needs to be opened up, I could be wrong tho it has been awhile since ive really followed the game intensly. Seroiusly I dont even know how to spec, and wtf heirlooms?!?!?!

-Troll really out.

Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »

Seroiusly I dont even know how to spec

So nothing has changed. Wink
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »

I really don't think in terms of rehash so much for this.  I've seen videos that demonstrated how much artwork would have to be done or re-done for flying mounts to be used in Azeroth.  If they had to re-do it anyway, why not take the opportunity to re-do it differently?

I do hope they don't just make everything a big crater or desert, though.  I really do like the lusher landscapes that a lot of classic WoW boasted.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: