Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 08:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Class Specific Information and Gear
| |-+  General Class Discussions
| | |-+  A few thoughts on violence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A few thoughts on violence  (Read 1178 times)
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« on: July 07, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »

Those of you who know me know I can be distracted by odd thoughts from time to time.  Most recently, I've been thinking about different classes in WoW and what sort of mentality they appeal to.  This has been brought on by my recent leveling activites (about to get my 4th 80) and how the different calsses played.

As an example, I was kind of shocked at the level of in-your-face brutality my feral druid produces.  The strikes and finishing moves all have big bangs or explosions or claw rakes or blood splashes associated with them.  The cat form strikes very quickly (if not for a ton on basic autoattack while energy recharges) and the cat makes a lot of nasty growls and whatnot while it attacks.  The end result is a mob that gives the impression of gettiong thoroughly mauled while I kill it.  I'm guessing this is part of the fun for rogues, too.

Contrast that to the warlock, my most-played toon.  I'm either a tank (aff) or a mage (destro), basically.  I'll dot up 15 mobs and let them pound my while they die (kind of fun in a masochistic way) or line them up and blast them one by one with discreet high-power shots.  Demon locks are a bit different, you just smack things while the demon smacks things, and try to kill them before they give up on the demon and come kill you.  In any event, locks are not rock 'em sock 'em toons.  A very different mindset and feel while playing than the feral druid.

Now look at a fury warrior.  Oddly, he doesn't feel so violent to me as a druid.  He has two weapons and some special abilities, but rarely gets the level of "ya!  Ya!  Ya!" that I get from my kung fu druid.

Mages feel like destruction warlocks, really, though frost mages with all their cc and improved blizzards are fun against mob packs.  They also usually use a couple abilties together rather than just one or two abilities.

My enhancement shaman feels like a cross between the druid and the warrior.  Two weapons, same as the warrior, but lots of special attacks, like the druid.  The limiter is cooldown timers rather than energy in this case.  The result is that while the shammie doesn't actually do all that much DPS (gear is bad currently) she sure FEELS like she does, always in there wailing and blasting in various ways.

Anyway, I'm finding that it's neat to play different types of toons depending on mood.  I'm having a lot of fun with the druid right now just because she is so ultraviolent.  It's a neat change from more methodical caster play.

What have you all noted about different classes and the mindsets behind them?
Mukaka
Class Leader

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25:01 AM »

And if you really want MINDLESS DPS, you play a hunter. Wink
Toullei

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »

Wink Or... you could just heal. I would be interested in a take of the different roles on the healers... somewhat equal to your post about violence.
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

Wink Or... you could just heal. I would be interested in a take of the different roles on the healers... somewhat equal to your post about violence.

See now you're reading me.  I'd like to know what people find fun about their class play, like why Frosh likes a pally or a mage, etc.  Or why Eleth likes a druid, a different druid or a third druid...um, nevermind that one, come to think of it  Wink
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:41:04 PM »

So the reason i rolled a pally oh so long ago was because its description best fit that of the Mountain King from Warcraft III;  little did i know how far far off that description was.

Now, the reason I play a paladin is because I find it to be a completely support-based roll.  Strangely, I really enjoy spamming heals on the people i love Smiley  This started with Jezziga being a warrior;  it felt good to be the support line to her. 

I always wonder if i'd enjoy healing as a priest or a shaman or as one of those weird overgrown shrubberies - but in the end, I surely do love Frosh and can never see myself playing another toon as a main.

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

Ya, you were lucky to have Jezz sign up at the same time with you.  I started off solo adventuring.  I've never really had a "play partner."  If I'd been going for a work-together motif the odds are I never would have took a warlock as my first toon.  They just sounded cool in the game manual.

Of course druids played a lot differently back then.  None of the delicious uber-violence they unleash these days.  And if I'd wanted a shammie I would've had to be a tauren.  Funny how things turn out.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: