Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 11:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Raids and Raid Strategies
| |-+  Healing
| | |-+  "What Can Healing Meters Tell You?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "What Can Healing Meters Tell You?"  (Read 1824 times)
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

I'm dancin' as fast as I can

« on: June 21, 2009, 05:16:41 AM »

I ran across this blog while trying to find something to help with my Mimiron Napalm healing issue (I just don't understand why I can't keep up with it).

Anyway, I thought this did a good job giving an overview of the ways to use meters/stats and the limitations.

http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/06/19/what-can-healing-meters-tell-you/
Toullei

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

Smiley It is a very good write up. I do like how they state the class differences on the meters, that is one thing that is very important to note as well as the fact healers do not have a specific rotation. More or less healers take up a spell preference, as what they feel gets the job done rather than just counting on a rotation. With in each healing class and spec, there are differences as to what spells have priority over others... whether it is because of haste or benefits.

Another thing to keep in mind, is set bonuses with gear. Just because it is there, does not mean you "HAVE" to use those as primary sources of heals, rather find a way to make them work for you to benefit from them. For example, it is not in my best interest as a resto sham to use my chain heal for the majority of the Mimiron fight.

I do not know what tactics your team uses in healing rotations for Mimiron, but I am usually the assigned healer for napalm as well. Often times, the healer not on rotation for the MT will throw a quick heal or prayer out to assist me; there are times that is extremely helpful. As far as what I do. I save my riptide, my only instant cast heal that happens to have a heal over time attached to it, for those that get hit with the Napalm and then use lesser healing wave as needed to top them off again.  Most of the time, just as added security one of the two priests will assist with that as well.

When I healed it with my druid (of which I was assigned to heal raid members hit by Napalm), heal over times and nourish were very useful. Keeping in mind we don’t have a paladin for fire resist and if my druid is brought we do not have a fire resist totem for the fight, as well as being down heroism. So overall, it went really well.

Another thought, is that some classes have an ability to heal themselves of sorts. Not all... some. They should be using it. Even our shadow priest will stop and heal himself through Napalm to assist and relieve healer duty, then quickly jump back into shadow form and dps. Even with him doing that... we do not lose a large amount of dps. It is teamwork. 
Jahira
Guild Member

Jahira Jahira
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »

That's an ok write up though I think it grossly understates the fact that the meters often illustrate the spell choices and rotations that are very critical to success.  It also mostly ignores the use of the meter for discovering build weaknesses and poor build choices, as in the case where a very low output healer is always low on mana even though the gear is equivalent primarily because they elected to ignore the mana saving and mana regen talents available to them.

By and large we assign healers according to the strengths and weaknesses both of the class/spec and the actual player.  Its no good to have a great ae healing spec if you have no real clue as to how to do that, or to be a single target (MT) healer if you can't stay on target.  In general the healers assigned to raid healing are also backing up the other healers as required and need to be very flexible and make fast decisions about a larger variety of spells than the single target healer.  I have some,more or less, set spell combinations that I use depending roughly on what sort of damage in coming in and how fast the heal needs to arrive.

In our Mimiron (and as general for most encounters where we go the three healer route)  We put a Disc Priest on the MT (and the Ranged MT) and cleansing a shaman/druid (depending on who we have) on napalm while the Holy priest is on general raid heal.  For Mimiron we use a trick rotation for the MT in phase one.  In our case the tank uses its own tricks for the first smash, Holy priest tricks for the second smash, and the disc gets the third smash.  The raid healer is also heavily backing up the MT healer in this phase. The tank may also re-trick if stuff becomes available.  The MT healer gets a lot of support in certain sections from the raid healer and in other phases the raid healer is also helping to cover napalm and just reduce the mana consumption of the healers in general since Mimiron really requires you to enter each phase with a good load of mana on.

Hope that is helpful.

Toullei

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:26:27 PM »

Wink

I do agree that in general the write up is somewhat slanted to one particular view. Overall, it points out several things that perhaps some are not aware of... which I think is really useful. Fuscha does bring up a good point about spell choices for being successful. The meters will not always be 100% accurate as to whether you are the best or the worst depending on where you stand, but if you constantly see that you are unable to fulfill a role of which your class and/or spec is designed for then you should definately be checking which spells you have on priority.

As with the gear, again, yes you can have the top of line gear and still have not a clue what you're doing and what spells most benefit each encounter. I've discussed this before, but I have pug'd raids with less gear than the other healers and still managed to pull out on top. It is knowing what you have, how to use it, when to use it and making sure you are fully raid aware. Healers have always got to be on their feet no matter what assignment they have; I know Opep, as our MT healer disc spec'd... still throws heals as needed to the raid and is very good at managing his mana. We all work together to throw out mana regen tricks such as my mana tide totem and hymn of hope that will benefit others in a rotation if necessary so that we are not sharing a cool down.

I used to hate "meters". I really didn't care who was on top or bottom so long as the job is getting done. Obviously, in some cases the job isn't getting done and that is where those meters come in handy. I still do not care to know whether I am first, second, third or last. What I do care about is whether or not I make it through an encounter with out running out of mana, I do care that the raid survives and that the main tank is kept above water.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: