Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 03:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Raids and Raid Strategies
| |-+  General Raiding Tips and Strategies
| | |-+  Leotheras the Blind strat / tips
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Leotheras the Blind strat / tips  (Read 2030 times)
Nallar
Guild Member

Email
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »

This is a discussion about all aspects of this fight, from standing locations to the boss itself.
This:

Is a screen shot (albeit a screenie of a horde raid...) of the northern part of Leotheras' lair.  In the background are tents and a wooden structure reaching to the cieling.  During the raid, if everyone stands in the vicinity of those tents, then at the whirlwind, moves between the tents and the wall behind the light fixture, no one will be able to be hit by the whirlwind (except possibly the tank/tanks, who could stay out to pick up aggro if necessary).  This will minimize, if not completely erase, any extra healing needed.

During the battle itself, he transforms into a demon.  His ranged fire attacks are easily handled by a Warlock with +fire resist gear (Jaxartes).  Make sure not to overaggro Jax (or any other warlock tanking him).  After he re-transforms, be sure the tanks have aggro before you move in to dps again (hunter misdirects here help a lot.)

Other than that, you have the inner demons that spawn in between the boss' whirlwind phases.  They have to be killed within 30 seconds, otherwise you are mind controlled for 10 mins and have to be killed by the raid.  Healers should have more than +300 spell damage in equipped gear to be able to kill their evil twins in this time (recommended on tentonhammer). 5 evils are created every time they spawn, so having more than 5 healers is a good idea (since all healers could get their evil twin simultaneously.)

Once Leotheras is gotten down to 15%, he splits from his normal side, and should be tanked by the warlock once more.   At this point, the evil twins are no longer spawned, and all DPS should still go to Leotheras himself, not the demon, as the demon will despawn after Leotheras is dead.

Movement during the fight should be relatively minimal, with everyone only needing to move out from the nook in the screenshot, and tanks needing to pick up the boss again after whirlwind.

The Warlock tanking the boss should preferably stay somewhere else in the room, away from the raid, just in case they forget to move out from the pack before the first explosion hits them. (A healer can hide with him/her if they can reach everyone else to heal.)

All these guidelines should make for a pretty easy fight, I think =)

Oh, and we have to kill him before 10 minutes is up, otherwise he enrages and kills everyone in one shot =)
Nallar
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »

Also, heres a youtube link to the Leotheras Fight.  Although it shows the raid hugging the walls, it also looks a little "iffy" with the raid spread so far out.  There is a lot of running that I think could be cut down if we are in a "safe zone" rather than chancing being hit on the sides like they are.  Nonetheless, they did take him down, presumably with most of their raid alive.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlO_a3DFCA
satrissian

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:52:36 AM »

That's an interesting take on the encounter.  Where did you find the info on the "safe zones"?  I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks,
Sart
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »

A few other points.

-When Leo gets near to 15% it is a good idea to lay off DPS until the Chaos Blast debuff fades from the warlock.  Basically, if more than about 5 of those debuffs stack, the warlock will get killed.  Coming out of the demon-tanking phase the lock is likely to have 4-5 debuffs on him.  They need to fade beofre the 15% split if at all possible. 

-Evil twins have about 10k hits, and you have about 45 seconds to kill them.  If you don't kill your twin it will mind control you, and the raid will have to kill you as a top priority.  Check online for ways for various specs and classes to get it done.

-There are a few fairly safe spots on the floor from Leo.  Near the walls is usually a good start, but keep moving away from him.  His cleave debuff will kill you.

We saw pretty much the whole fight last night.  If we get a handle on the evil twins and getting clear of the whirlwind, I think we've got him.
Nallar
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »

I found the info for the safe spots in my mind. =P

It makes sense that a niche in a corner would not be inside his whirlwind area.
satrissian

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »

I asked because it sounded like you had stumbled upon a way to completely trivialize this fight Smiley  While using the tents as shields sounds like a fantastic idea for individual survival (an idea that I will borrow if ya dont mind), I would not suggest stacking the entire raid behind the tents.  Leo's WW is not exactly random-pathed.  From my observations, he chooses a random target and WW's straight for that target for something like 3 seconds, then chooses a new target to chase.  Spreading out in a big circle increases the likelihood that consecutive targets will be far from one another, causing him to float around in the center of the circle aimlessly between target shifts.  He usually only makes it to the outside edge of the circle and into the dps/healers if he targets 2 or 3 closely grouped people in a row.  Thus, grouping up can be very bad.  If the whole raid bunches up behind the tent, it seems likely that he would eventually choose two grouped people in a row and make it around to nuke that entire cluster.  I've never tried it, so I can't tell you for sure if clustering behind the tent would work or not.  If you try it, I'm curious to see how it goes.
Nallar
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »

Yeah it came to mind that he may whirlwind in a random direction toward a player, then switch targets, but if he doesn't, this will make the fight a lot easier.  And, even if he does, if he cannot reach us behind the tents, then he will be right there for the tanks to pick him up =)
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »

So while we are on the topic of Leo, let's discuss tactics for killing inner demon. 

Prot Pally (which i was last night) had success with the following (i was in healing gear;  approximately 500+ spelldmg):

1.  Judge Crusader (may be better to just judge righteousness; not certain)
2.  AW (if i'm going to judge righteousness instead of crusader, i'll make this the first ability)
3.  Avenger's Shield for 1.4k (holy pallies use Holy Shock)
4.  Exorcism for 2k
5.  Concecrate for 333/second (2.6k total) (it may be beneficial to do this just after popping AW due to the DoT nature)
6.  Judge Righteousness 1.6k
7.  Hammer of Wrath 2k

damage done:  1.4 + 2 + 2.6 + 1.6 + 2 = 9.5k   (this ignores Seal of Righteousness hits and rounding which apparently made up the other 1.5k)
Best case time needed (every ability used above is instant or 1.5 second cast, GCD = 1.5 seconds):  1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 10.5 seconds
how much time it actually took last night:  17 seconds
I'll give '2 seconds' to 'panic' and 'targeting'
1.5 seconds went to 'stunning' the mob (not sure if that was worth it or not;  probably is since it'll save a healer somewhere some mana)
If wings are down (meaning I don't get a +30% damage boost), looking at as long as 30 seconds to kill the mob which still gives me 'plenty of time' (edit:  I can use trinkets, hopefully get a crit or two, etc...I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether you have exactly 30 seconds or 45 seconds to kill the inner demon...) 

Overall, paladins should have a very easy time taking down his or her inner demon.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:01:30 PM by Frosh » Logged

chemten
official /gquit machine

99645571 michael.boeckelmann@hp.com chemten10 chemten10
Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »

Overall, paladins should have a very easy time taking down his or her inner demon.

especially since they are demons.  if they can't kill them in-time, then take off stam gear.

the official "i want to steal your phat lewts" fan club member
stealing your epics since 2004.
Nallar
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

Druids also have a pretty easy time killing their counterparts:

Spam Wrath/moonfire/insect swarm.

Done.
Cherassar
Light's Shadow

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »

and of course shammies have it really easy LB LB LB if its not dead earthshock Smiley

I know I went past that rock before......Huh

Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 06:07:09 AM »

I'm a Prot Warrior...

I'm boned, aren't I?

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 06:46:08 AM »

One thing to remember is that inner demons are susceptable to most spell effects other than banning and enslaving.  They can be feared, for example.  So a lock can fear, dot, dot, dot (and maybe dot) then blast it a couple times to finish it off.  Just don't stop casting and keep it running around, and you'll do fine.
chemten
official /gquit machine

99645571 michael.boeckelmann@hp.com chemten10 chemten10
Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »

I'm a Prot Warrior...

I'm boned, aren't I?

not too bad.  save the shield reflect thing for when they cast.  nukes em nice.

the official "i want to steal your phat lewts" fan club member
stealing your epics since 2004.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: