Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 09:08:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Questing and Grouping
| |-+  Looking For Group
| | |-+  Heroic Badges Needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heroic Badges Needed  (Read 1113 times)
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

I'm dancin' as fast as I can

« on: August 27, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »

So, apparently I need 30 heroic boss kills for a great tanking shield (is there a rep requirement as well?).  Anyway, I'm keyed for all of them and run none.  Is there an instance that people "farm" badges from (ex. quick boss to get to and reset instance) or do most people try to run them to completion?

Any way, let me know if you are willing to run.

Thanks,
Ahmaj
chemten
official /gquit machine

99645571 michael.boeckelmann@hp.com chemten10 chemten10
Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:39:44 PM »

So, apparently I need 30 heroic boss kills for a great tanking shield (is there a rep requirement as well?).  Anyway, I'm keyed for all of them and run none.  Is there an instance that people "farm" badges from (ex. quick boss to get to and reset instance) or do most people try to run them to completion?

Any way, let me know if you are willing to run.

Thanks,
Ahmaj

you cant reset heroic instances.  they are on a lockout like raids but only for 1-day.

mechanar is popular to farm.

the official "i want to steal your phat lewts" fan club member
stealing your epics since 2004.
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 07:01:51 AM »

Darn, didn't know about the lockout.  Guess that makes it a bit harder to take a Saturday and get all my badges Sad
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:23:46 AM »

Heroics are a 'proving ground' of sorts.  They're hard - REALLY really hard.  They can also be very rewarding.

Mechenaar is the 'farmed' Heroic Badge instance because it's relatively 'simple' - what makes it simple?

*  The majority of pulls are 3 humanoid pulls (which means 2 can be controlled by rogue/mage/hunter/lock/etc...)
*  There's not many casters and no fear
*  There are a total of 5 obtainable badges (though I always just get 4 because the 5th comes from the boss that has the two fire elementals (3 on heroic), and I've never been able to kill her...)
*  First boss is 'unique' to KoR (there was a similar boss in Nax) and is still very fun

However, to the degree that it is 'simple', it has some VERY hard parts:

* Robots with "Charged Fist" virtually requires an over geared tank+healer or interrupts (mage/rogue i think/warrior) - if the big robot gets a 'charged fist' off, someone (usually the tank) will likely die which means so will the rest of the party
* First boss is only 'easy' as long as you get the pull down AND people can pay attention to their debuffs
* The waves of mobs before the final boss usually requires the party to 'run away' down the elevator until the mobs reset so healers can get mana, targets can be assigned, etc...
* Requires that people be very aware of 'patrols' and distance to other groups - especially in the first room.  If you pull something you didn't mean to, you will wipe Wink

overall, I've been on VERY fast Mechenaar runs (40 minutes?) and VERY slow mechenaar runs (3+ hours...)  It is probably tied for the 'easiest' Heroic.  (Easy is in quotes and really means "simple" more than "without requiring effort")

Another good one to farm is Slave Pens.  Slave pens can be easier than Mech based on group make up - if you can come up with something like mage+rogue+hunter+healer+tank, slave pens can be VERY fast.  All but two (3?) pulls can be crowd controlled and the bosses don't really differ too much from the 'normal' mode bosses.  You can get 3 badges from Slave Pens.

If you're really wanting to get some badges, I'd find a group of 5 friends and start with mech then hit slave pens - it's important that they're real true to life friends, because heroics can be EXTREMELY frustrating and they are absolutely tank-centric (everything not a tank gets 1-shotted unless you're vastly overgeared).  Pugs don't work simply because people get mad and leave.

Heroic Instances to avoid until you're a professional:
Shattered Halls
Auchenei Crypts
Black Morass
Old Hillsbrad

Instances I've never attempted:
Botanica
Arcatraz
Mana Tombs

In any given heroic, the 'average' mob will probably hit you for about 4 - 6k and often 'double'  hit you (hit you with a melee for 5k at the same time as an 'uppercut' (or some instant attack) will hit you for 6k.  So make sure you're packing at least 12kHP and a healer that's capable of healing exremely huge bursts of damage (paladins are one of the bests due to very fast low threat big heals, druids are probbaly the worst due to high threat heal over times)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:27:00 AM by Frosh » Logged

jezziga
Guild Member

J3zziga
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »

There are actually two good options as far as shields go.

[wowitem]29266[/wowitem]  is obtained by turning in 33 badges

or

[wowitem]29176[/wowitem]  is obtained by reaching exalted with Sha'tar (running a bunch of Tempest keep instances is the only way to do this)

Personally, I think the Crest of Sha'tar is superior to the Shield of Coldarra because of the sockets, but I prefer stacking stamina over mitigation generally.

Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »

I prefer stacking stamina over mitigation generally.

As the other Warrior Class Leader, I'd like to say something here.

The answer is both Tongue

Keeping your mitigation up to par reduces healer mana consumption, allowing for long-term survivability.  You MUST keep your mitigation high enough to avoid Crushing Blows anyway. There is also the fact that, with good mitigation, even without Shield Block you have better chances of avoiding a Crushing Blow. You won't always avoid them, but the chances of getting a string of them is reduced. Even with 18k buffed hp, a string of Crushing Blows will still kill you real dead.

Also note that the Azure Shield of Coldarra has 16 more block value, which is extremely relevant for Shield Slam. It also has more armor, which is perhaps the best mitigation stat of all, because it's not luck-based.

However, basically my point is, the shields are close enough that really either is a fine choice. I prefer the Azure Shield of Coldarra over the Crest of the Sha'tar, but either is perfectly suitable until we kill Gruul and can get [wowitem]28825[/wowitem] or [wowitem]28606[/wowitem]

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »

Ah, Stamina vs. Avoidance, the age old battle!   Grin  Thanks for the responses. 

I'm a big fan of Satrina's stuff.  In keeping with that, I try to use the term "Avoidance" for miss/dodge/parry and "Mitigation" for AC & block to avoid confusion.  Personally I also prefer the avoidance stats over stamina (hey, if I have to stance dance, healers can "jump"  Shocked) but, as with all things, there must be a balance (and someday the gear set to go with the fight).  In this particular case I would prefer [wowitem]29266[/wowitem]  due to the shield block hence the need for badges.

Hmm, anyone for Heroics in Tempest Keep instances?  Maybe then I  can test both  Cool
nymeriastark

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

To ahmaj's request:
If you are in need of a heroic run, holler me up ;-), whether you tank, dps, or heal =P, and I'll worry about the rest of the classes ^^
I farm heroics on a daily basis, just to keep in tune, though I've generally been getting worse and worse, since the people I run with are getting more and more geared, so it makes the fights a lot more trivial than it used to be. Heroics were also NERFED to crap, so they're a lot easier
But if you are in need of badge farms, I usually hit up mech for 3 badges, and if people really want loot, then 5, but the 3 badges take about 20 minutes, the last 2 badges take like 40 more minutes. But they provide loot and a nether that i can use.
Then Heroic Slave Pens is a very quick 3 badges as well, provided nothing stupid happens, like me having my pet pull the wrong mob.
Right after is UB - 4 badges, very simple and straight forward, except stuff hits hard, so have some decent gear on you.
I also like to do heroic ramparts, but its only 2 badges, but it seems a lot of people still need loot there
SL, crypts, tombs, and sethekk halls are all quirky, but relatively farmable with a decent group. Crypts is very short if there is no wipes, same with sethekk halls - bout 1 hour - 90 minute runs, mana tombs and sl take a bit longer
SH, SV, and BF are considered irritable runs, some of the mobs gets really quirky at times, so do be careful about getting a group together for those =)
I've finished heroic BM twice, and my experience is that if you're going to farm for heroic badges, leave it, and I would say the same with Old hillsbrad, very quirky stuff, you need everyone to know what they're doing. like in OH you need a rogue to come in, sap a guy and do all the bomb, and things of the sort, definitely not a fun experience for me.
Heroic Arc is relatively easy, so long as you skip the first boss =), god know how many times I died at that voidwalker
And I've never done heroic Bot, it was too long an instance in regular, I never found out on heroic.
But yeah, if you guys need a heroic group, or a hunter to tag along with ya, lemme know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: