Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 02:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Guild Policies
| |-+  Important Guild Information
| | |-+  Raiding Goals and Changes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Raiding Goals and Changes  (Read 4934 times)
Xakopane

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »

And if people can't make the weekly Kara raid with KoR, I'd actually recommend trying for a PUG. I've had great luck with them. Hammerclaw and Missymage are two contacts that usually need people for their weekly raids, otherwise there are at least two groups a night on the LFG channel. For people that know me, you will know that I HATE PUGs!!!! I've been burned way too many times, so I don't recommend this option lightly. But it is now a viable option for the leftovers that can't make into the KoR raids, espicially for the healer and warrior classes- they're always advertised as being needed for Kara PUGs. I should also mention that most of these aren't really PUGs; they are guild runs that are running short of people and need filler spots- usually an OT and a healer or two, but often DPS classes as well. There's really no reason that the KoR Kara leftovers couldn't pursue their own Kara run using this option now as well.

I have had good luck with the Kara PUGs along with Nyteflower. Last week, Hammerclaw was actually disappointed I was in our raid as he wanted me to fill in a gap in his guild's team. There are definately spots out there with guilds not as deep as we are who, nonetheless, are decent raiders. Being an ambassador for one's guild is not a bad thing either.

Xak
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »

The problem with Kara is that it was a bad design choice by Blizzard.

All the raiding guilds were equipped to handle 40-man instances.  Had BC just gone from 40-man to 25-man runs that would have caused a lot of movement within guilds to start.  But instead they sliced it all the way to 10-man raiding in Kara as their gateway leading to 25-man instances, virtually assuring that any guild of any real size would have serious heartache trying to use a 10-man instance to equip and train 25 raiders.

So, it's not the fault of the guild, or the officers, if you can't get in to a Kara run.  Well, unless we have some sort of "raid ranking" system hidden away somewhere that prioritizes signups.  I haven't heard of such, though.

That said, there are a couple things I'd suggest about small-group raiding.  I didn't notice any real trouble with the bigger runs (Gruul), so I'm guessing Kara is the only real issue.  (I can state the obvious with the best of 'em.)

So here's the thing.  BC isn't as forgiving as classic WoW.  A party can get stuck on Moroes all night, even now that we've been downing him for months, if they have bad makeup or just one or two players that aren't with it that night.  If the guild wants to be successful and progress there we need to have a balance that can deal with the threats we know of.  We can clear Karazhan without any toon-swapping so long as we stay on top of this.  That's what the raid leaders are trying to do, I think.  Those "open" slots are what most of us are fighting to nab.  We have so few healing pallies that they are pretty well guaranteed a spot, but the rest of us are being looked over each week to try and find the optimal mix for those groups.

It's also getting tougher as more people get ready to start in Kara.  From my standpoint when we started we had 3-4 locks, and typically only 1-2 could make it in a given week.  Of those, there was a big spread in raid capability.  Now we have an extra 2-3 locks that can come, gear and capability levels are flattening out, and it's going to be harder moving forward to get myself a seat at the show with any regularity.  

The only real solution to this situation is to have more Kara runs, but 2 things would have to happen for those to be practical:
-We would need more class balance.  as Frosh pointed out if we are starting with 3 hunters and 5 warriors we are NOT going to just be able to flesh out that run with a couple more people.  More like we would have to bring in enough people to make 2 new runs, and spread our folks out between them.
-It's tough to get that many sub-ins to fill out raids.  Most folks are already running Kara if that's what they want to do.  The folks we could get to volunteer might not be very well-geared.  They might not be too skilled.  They might not mesh well with our Way of doing things.  And they'd be 50% of the population those 2 extra raids.  Not to mention taking 50% of the loot.

Me personally, I don't want to sit out.  Raiding with my guildies is my primary reason for playing WoW, and most of my effort is devoted to trying to be a better raid asset.  That's a prime reason for the old post of the week topic, after all.  Recounting our adventures and looking for improvements.  

I do realize sometimes I'll have to sit out, but hope it won't be too regular a thing.  To help maximize my chances I'll keep trying to improve my toon and trying to help, in the forums and in the raids, to make them better.  I'd advise a similar attitude for other folks that would like to raid.  Don't be the nail that needs to be hammered down.  Be the person that suggests using screws that won't come loose instead of using nails in the first place  :)
Gladrial
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »

"Our guild is really in good shape and has some of the smartest, kindest, patient people you will find in game." - From Mukaka

I would also like to add - good looking.  Tongue

I have other thoughts, but I will have to wait until later to post them... mostly for coherency sake.

Most importantly, this is a game, and we should be having fun.

My two cents worth for now.

Gladrial
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

"Our guild is really in good shape and has some of the smartest, kindest, patient people you will find in game." - From Mukaka

Been looking at my picture again, have ya?  Grin
jezziga
Guild Member

J3zziga
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »

Back off my man!

Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:47 PM »

Back off my man!

Your man? Back off my man! Wink
Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »

Ladies, ladies...you can BOTH have me!

I couldn't possibly deny anyone my shining personality or rugged good looks. Tongue

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Gelgornn
Guild Member

Minister of Infoz!!!

infernoskk neofitexl
Email
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:43 PM »

UGHHH, IM GONNA BE SICK!!!!!!

jezziga
Guild Member

J3zziga
WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 12:57:27 PM »

rofl Smiley

Helwin
Administrator

bradthetbird
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »

lol

"I do this for Aiur"
Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:14 PM »

Ladies, ladies...you can BOTH have me!

I couldn't possibly deny anyone my shining personality or rugged good looks. Tongue

I can't have you? Sad

/sniff
Nalen

Lives to antagonize Vandred. RIVS.

Email
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »

LOL POSERS!  We all know that I was being referred to. 

After all I AM RRTSB!!!     8)

That is all

chemten
official /gquit machine

99645571 michael.boeckelmann@hp.com chemten10 chemten10
Email
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »

After all I AM RRTSB!!!     Cool

That is all

what does RRTSB mean?  is it "the warrior with tricks?"

the official "i want to steal your phat lewts" fan club member
stealing your epics since 2004.
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:24 AM »

After all I AM RRTSB!!!     8)

That is all

what does RRTSB mean?  is it "the warrior with tricks?"

Beefcake!!!!
Nalen

Lives to antagonize Vandred. RIVS.

Email
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »

Long long ago I was known by a select few as Rich Rich The Sexy Biotch  There was even a hat made with that phrase that was given to me, and yes the person that named me that was a female!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: