Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 03:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Guild Policies
| |-+  Important Guild Information
| | |-+  Raiding Goals and Changes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Raiding Goals and Changes  (Read 4931 times)
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »

As KOR has progressed, the officers have decided to set some achievable, concrete, measurable goals as outlined below:

Goal #1 (TBC: 8/3/07):    Two Kara groups downing Prince in two nights Complete 7/19/07
Goal #2 (TBC: 8/5/07):    Kill HKM Complete 7/15/07 -> Weekly visits to Gruuls Lair
Goal #3 (TBC:  9/07):       Kara ran on one night with off night fill-ins;  GL/Mag on other raid nights
Goal #4 (TBC:  12/07):     GL/Mag one night, SSC/The Eye on other nights

These goals will be updated as situations arise or as goals are completed.  As you can see, it is the vision of the officers in KoR to move beyond the 10man instance and in to the 25 man instances where we can be with more of our friends at a time.

With these goals in mind, the officers have decided that the following template will be followed as closely as possible for Karazhan runs:

1.  Spec'd Tank
2.  Feral Druid/DPS warrior
3.  Spec'd/geared healer
4.  Spec'd/geared healer
5.  Dps
6.  Dps
7.  Dps
8.  Dps
9.  DPS
10.  Filler (Hybrid preferred)

With this template in mind, the officers will be mindful of players who sit out from week to week, but will no longer guarantee raid spots.

I would welcome any questions about these goals, the template, or changes being made, and we are looking forward to achieving these goals with our friends in this crazy mixed up virtual World of Warcraft. Smiley

(post modified to avoid confusion about specific classes)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:57:32 AM by Frosh » Logged

Vandred
Main Battle Tank
Guild Member

Master of Lewtz

BlackDracus
Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »

Shocked

Grin

Unbowed. Unbroken.
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

I'm dancin' as fast as I can

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:34:50 AM »

So does that mean I can wait at the trainer until you figure out if you need a Prot or DPS warrior that night?
Gelgornn
Guild Member

Minister of Infoz!!!

infernoskk neofitexl
Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »

interesting!!!

Avid
Official Guild Sexy

Demosthenes21
Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »

Looks good guys, thx for the info, but could you clarify "no longer guarantee raid spots."

Does this mean that people can sit out for more than one week in a row or maybe that raid spots will be given out more based on merit rather than past participation?

I also have a suggestion: If a player no longer needs loot from chess (considering its free epix and requires no class balance) perhaps the guild could ask the player to switch out so that someone who needs the loot could have the chance at it. Once chess is beaten, the players will switch back.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:19:23 AM by Avid » Logged

Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »

Also, can someone please update the Guild Mission Statement.  I'm afraid it may be way too out of date with current leadership philosophy.  Perhaps it, along with the policies could even be put into the Wiki so that they can easily be modified to meet the current dictate of the month.
Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »

I also have a suggestion: If a player no longer needs loot from chess (considering its free epix and requires no class balance) perhaps the guild could ask the player to switch out so that someone who needs the loot could have the chance at it. Once chess is beaten, the players will switch back.

Yes, because we all know it's all about the loot.  No one actually enjoys learning to beat the new content when they could swap in for loot.  No one wants to feel like the earned the right of wearing their epics.  King's Defenders for everyone!
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »

Looks good guys, thx for the info, but could you clarify "no longer guarantee raid spots."

Does this mean that people can sit out for more than one week in a row or maybe that raid spots will be given out more based on merit rather than past participation?

It's a combination of both, Avid.  It is possible that one player may not get in more than 2 weeks in a row simply from an overpopulated class (warriors, druids, and hunters mainly).  With >5 warriors, we run in to a situation where if every warrior signed up to every raid, we'd end up with at least 3 warriors in a raid which would be a real burden for the raid.  To that end, on days when we go in DPS light or healing light, certain healers, dps, or tanks may be given priority for what they will bring to the raid.    A good example:  suppose two 'new' healers are in karazan and tasked with dual healing it - giving those 'new' healers our best tank may help make the raid a success.

I feel our officers (and to toot my own horn to some degree Wink) have been very fair in bringing all skill levels, specs, and playstyles to raids.  It's still our goal to not exclude anyone from raiding (further, to include all who are interested), but we also don't want to put ourselves in a situation where we've promised 7 warriors and 3 hunters that they're going to be in next week's raid.

RE: Your suggestion about chess: The chess thing is a bit hairy but certainly doable if arrangements are made based on time and availability of the raid.  Last night, Jezziga was on the raid as Jezziga and I asked her to switch to Jeziga as it would help us more - Jezziga was parked outside of Karazan so it made it easy to have her switch over.  it is certainly possible to just spam /guild with "hey, [item] dropped, is anyone not saved to kara that wants it?" and then we could handle it later on in the evening (i understand the chest stays until a soft-reset).  I'd much rather see an item go to a guildie than be sharded.  However, to make this a high priority seems a bit daft overall.       We did something similar with Domo's Chest - it was pretty low key, but if we can make it happen, it's great. Smiley

Note:  The people need not be present at chess to loot the chest.  jeziga was on her priest during the chess encounter and switched over after we found plate boots that Vandred already had.  This gives us some flexibility about WHEN the chest is looted (for example, the raid could move on to prince and the person not in raid could come in at 11:30 server time to loot the chest.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:40:30 AM by Frosh » Logged

Avid
Official Guild Sexy

Demosthenes21
Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »

Note:  The people need not be present at chess to loot the chest.  jeziga was on her priest during the chess encounter and switched over after we found plate boots that Vandred already had.  This gives us some flexibility about WHEN the chest is looted (for example, the raid could move on to prince and the person not in raid could come in at 11:30 server time to loot the chest.)

I did not know that, thx, sounds good.

Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »

Yes, because we all know it's all about the loot.  No one actually enjoys learning to beat the new content when they could swap in for loot.  No one wants to feel like the earned the right of wearing their epics.  King's Defenders for everyone!

I think that's a bit unfair to Avid. It's certainly not all about the loot, you're right, but loot isn't unimportant either. Surely we'd rather have people using epics than shard them? If someone can't go to Kara in a given run, I think the possibility of getting something should be some consolation... it would be for me.
Avid
Official Guild Sexy

Demosthenes21
Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »

Dude, its chess, chill out. Just because you feel screwed over by raid policy doesn't give you the right to be rude. Yes, I am motivated by loot, if you have a problem with that, take it up with me personally and not on the forums.

jezziga
Guild Member

J3zziga
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »

Yes pls, I will take a king's defender next time it is available.  Grin

I agree with aniral you are twisting Avid's "good intention" to make it a negative thing when frankly he's saying "I'll give up my void crystal to help someone who sat out tonight". Sounds like a good deed to me.

Also, can someone please update the Guild Mission Statement.  I'm afraid it may be way too out of date with current leadership philosophy.  Perhaps it, along with the policies could even be put into the Wiki so that they can easily be modified to meet the current dictate of the month.

you may want to find the most recent "state of the guild" address.. from the looks of things it seems like frostburn was guild leader and it was written before the game was even a year old.

Ahpre (aka Ahmaj)
I <3 Garden Gnomes
Guild Member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »

I agree with aniral you are twisting Avid's "good intention" to make it a negative thing when frankly he's saying "I'll give up my void crystal to help someone who sat out tonight". Sounds like a good deed to me.

First - I am not for or against Avid or any other poster - I am for or against an idea.  I tend only to post contrary opinions.  I guess I should start also posting "I agree" notes.  For example, I agreed with Avid's and Kymber's (and I think Bazerk's) posts on Kara raiding back in May.

Now, back to the contrary opinion of the idea: Yep, I'm sure it sounds kind... I rank it right up there with "Let them eat cake."

Hey, I've got an idea, lets swap players based on boss loot drops - if you've already gotten the loot for your class it then you get swapped out for someone that hasn't.  No void crystals.

Well, maybe that won't be necessary for me soon.  I switched spec a couple weeks ago since I was told only one prot warrior is needed in Kara and I'd have a better chance of running as DPS.  It's probably only an other month or so to build my DPS set up so that I don't totally gimp the raid and I will then have a chance to get tanking gear from an instance that will probably be on farm status so that maybe I will get in for the learning curve on the new content in the next instance (which is my enjoyment of the game).  Of course, by then, we'll probably have recruited enough to fill the 25 mans and no one will want to run Kara but maybe I'll make the instance after that.  Who knows, anything is possible.

you may want to find the most recent "state of the guild" address.. from the looks of things it seems like frostburn was guild leader and it was written before the game was even a year old.

I make a differentiation between mission statements and a guild address in the same way I feel there is a difference between the Constitution and the State of the Union Address.

My preference would be for the officers efforts to be concentrated on figuring out how to get the class balance issues corrected and 3 Kara runs going so that more guild members can participate on a regular basis rather than working on instituting restrictions on the existing runs.  What about Alliances?  What about Alt/Main runs?  What about both? What about something else? What about communicating what you've been thinking and discussing?

Current policy, from my point of view (i.e. not one of the 80+% runners), is directed at how the few can advance and does not uphold the mission statement of the guild.
Grynni
Ahmaj's Main Sidekick!
Guild Member

Not your average Garden Gnome

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 05:03:56 AM »

Yes pls, I will take a king's defender next time it is available.  Grin

Yes, I think that Avid had "good intention's" when he suggested that players who need the gear be able to loot the items that others have passed on, but for ME personally those of us who have not having done the instance it is like a parent handing their child a bag of Halloween candy on November 1 and saying "Here you can have the candy but not the fun of getting it."

From my point of view, being a new 70 and trying to get keyed (and that is a whole different thread so please don't offer suggestions on the how to do it I've read those), every time I see a change to raid policy I wonder if/when I am going to be able to raid.  The first change seemed aimed at getting the players who wanted to progress faster through faster, and this change seems aimed at excluding people.  Correct me if I am wrong but, I thought part of the reason people chose to be in a Guild was inclusion.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 07:15:41 AM by Grynni » Logged
Aniral

Forum Monkey.

matrixd00d1
Email
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 06:07:49 AM »

I would say that this change isn't aimed at excluding people. I think that, for whatever reason, the officers feel that it's important to have a balanced group. This is basically the issue with Kara, vs the older raids (MC, ZG) which were entry-level: smaller group means less forgiving on class composition. I'm not an officer, hence I wasn't in on this decision, but I'll go out on a limb and say that the officers merely wish to recognize that harsher demand that Kara places. It's not about exclusion at all. There is one unfortunate side effect, which I'm sure has been considered, which is that it will lead to an imbalance in how much people get to raid (if there's only 1 hunter in the guild, that hunter is sitting awfully pretty when it comes time to pick who's going to Kara, but if there are 20 mages, any given mage's chance of going is low). That's exclusion of a sort, I suppose, but it's more a side effect, not what I think is the actual goal here.

Also, why do you say "I wonder if/when I am going to be able to raid"? I don't know how the locks are looking in terms of population these days, but unless there's a gross amount of them, you should be able to go to raids. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a gear requirement, and even if there is, it'd be something along the lines of "Be geared in mostly blues appropriate for your level". There's no time requirement apart from "Be able to show up for the raids you sign up for". There's no real reason that I can see why you should be unable to raid.

Lastly, you're not the only one who hasn't been going to Kara. I've gone to all of one run... and that run was a while ago, back when we were wiping on Moroes over and over. Even though I haven't done the instance, I appreciate Avid's consideration in giving gear to people who need it even if they couldn't make it on the run. It doesn't strike me at all like the analogy you made about Halloween. In fact, to me it's more like, "I know you couldn't make it to trick-or-treating last night, so I made sure I got some candy for you, so you'd at least have something even though you couldn't go". I'm just saying, be careful of making a statement on behalf of "those of us who have not done the instance". You and I both haven't seen Kara (well, I haven't seen more than a little bit, so count that if you wish), but we both have differing opinions of the chest idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: