Knights of Other Realms
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 08:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Applicants - Contact Bazerk if you need to have your account approved.
Members - If you cannot see the Members-only boards, contact Bazerk.
23341 Posts in 3013 Topics by 352 Members
Latest Member: kelgore
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Knights of Other Realms Forums
|-+  Class Specific Information and Gear
| |-+  General Class Discussions
| | |-+  Healing in BC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Healing in BC  (Read 1561 times)
Nyteflower

« on: February 28, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »

Ok, I've done some informal tests when I've been heaing in instances and groups in BC. I'm definately pulling more healer agro in BC than I was 'downstairs'. I'm not imagining it. Monsters aren't simply showing me love, they're worshiping me Tongue

Any other healers getting worshiped in BC?

Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

How big of an increase have you had in +healing gear?  from what i've seen it wouldn't be too hard for a healer to massively increase the effectiveness (and thus aggro) of their heals.

Also I heard that it's harder to use the really low-ranked heals, since the rules for them now reduce the amount of +healing that they can get from gear. 

Higher gear + higher level heals would get a lot of attention. 

Do either or both of the above apply?
Frosh
I'm not as fast as Frostburn.
Guild Officer

stevenearhart@yahoo.com StevenAtHouse
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »

I don't know if you're generating more aggro, but it's definitely harder for tanks to hold aggro.  There's generally more mobs per pull, and a number of them get CC'd:  imagine the folloiwng:

4 mobs
Mob #1 is sapped (not improved sap) on the pull which means that 1 mob may or may not have a small amount of aggro against the rogue, the 3 others have very little aggro on the rogue
mob #2 is sheeped right after the pull which generates some aggro against the mage
mob #3 and #4 are tanked by my favorite warrior
30 seconds later, mob #1s sap fades at the same time <insert healing class> drops a heal or hot on the rogue/tank.  Mob #1 now has very little aggro from the rogue, and a ton on the healer.  If the tank doesn't get to the mob quick enough, squishy squishy goes the healer.
5 seconds later mob #2 breaks sheep, starts running for the group, and our favorite healer keeps doing his or her job.  Mob #2 now is ticked off at the healer while the tank is theoretically handling as many as 4 mobs for aggro.

However, with a good tank, I haven't PULLED aggro from a tank (granted, i'm a pally) but i've also never seen any druids pull aggro from a tank either...

*shrug*  druids thoughts?

Oh, tack in Mobs that fear, stun, aoe, etc, on the tank...and you have to be pretty well on your toes as a healer in BC.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:37:27 AM by Frosh » Logged

Sicro
Why me?
Guild Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »

you forgot when a mob scattershots the tank droping his/her aggro to zero Cheesy  (or blinds the tank, which I did on Blackice during an AV - the alliance General then ran around pwning the healers Cheesy )

However, as a serious note - it is a lot more difficult to have good aggro on mobs for the warriors right now.  Couple that with a near lack of aggro reduction abilities for Druids and Druid-healers can strip aggro very well.  I am seeing it on Sicro from a damage point of view.  At 60, after our gearing, even with all my +damage I couldn't strip aggro from Nalen if he had 2 sunders up.  Last night - not a problem (of course, mage aggro reduction also got nerfed in 2.0 but even accounting for that).

Also, as Frosh pointed out - most of the instances have several mob pulls.  Here warriors are at a disadvantage without a lot of abilities to quickly put good aggro on a group of mobs.  Meanwhile Paladin and Druid tanks can be too good at drawing the group aggro as Eleth found last night as he would almost immediately have all 4-5 mobs (after my sheep) stuck on him like glue which Nalen with Thunderfury and Protection-spec had not an easy time removing.  Eleth even with the tuff bare armor (Cheesy) went down quickly in those situations. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:23:42 PM by Sicro » Logged

So...Are these rules or guidelines?
Jaxartes
Greetings, My Minions,
Guild Member

Herder of cats

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

There does seem to be a lot of aggro-clearing in BC.  Both the instances last night featured mobs that could do that, or mobs that would...mob us due to sheer numbers in the pull.  We managed to keep most of the heat off of Frosh, but there were a few times when even his pally aggro got strong enough to pick up mobs that had killed the felguard or wiped aggro.

BC seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to avoid typical "tank and spank" mobs, except in certain circumstances (usually where the area itself is already chaotic or challenging, like when chasin Thrall in Old Hillsbrad).  Adjusting around that is going to take some work.
Eleth
Guild Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:28:02 PM »

Aye, the combination of lots of mobs who can:
1) scattershot
2) fear

as well as the larger groups of multiple pulls tend to be the main problem for me as a healer. I can definitely spot moments when the mobs use an ability (such as scattershot) on the tank, as all 4 mobs will charge me.... if i manage to run away..... ermm i mean survive the 6 seconds or so until scattershot (or fear) wears off then the mobs go straight back to the tank. Sadly me surviving in healer form during this is rare. The trick is to notice that this has occurred and be ready to
1) drop to bear form
2) run
3) activate Abilties (AoE fears/tricks etc)

I dont think its an actual agro getting problem, more often a temporary tank agro removal problem. As good tanks (be they warriors, druids or pallies) seem to be great at getting group agro, and then picking up the occasional one who breaks for me. The way you can tell which of these scenarios is your problem is that, if 1 mob breaks off - healing agro, if all mobs break off then its probably tank effects (note the probably).

Just my 2c

Eleth
Nyteflower

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 02:45:06 PM »

I'm getting one or two ppl in the mob to beat on me. Usually Xak can pig one and I kite the other to the tank to re-establish agro. That doesn't always work and I get stuck trying to frantically keep alive while the others suffer. I can say with utter certainity that if there weren't someone that could take that one guy out for me (by pigging or sleeping or whatever), I'd be dead even more than I usually am.

I'm having to readjust my overall healing strategy. It normally makes me grind my teeth to see people drop below 50% hps. But I'm having to keep them (sans tank of course) around that point to drop my agro. Cloth-bearing personnel tend to be around 75% because they simply drop too fast. But if I can establish keeping those numbers with my rejuv, I'll do it to cut the agro. And just forget about regrowth on cloth-wearing individuals. Not worth the trouble AT ALL!!!!! During battle, maintenance is da bomb; not increasing hps to full. Its the only way I've been able to figure out to drop that hateful agro.

I'm glad others have noticed this. Any chance of it lessening over time with better weapons and skills on the tanks?
Thalmar

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:13:50 PM »

I as a pally healer have +1200+ hrealing and i pull no aggro almost at all even when i crit for 1.5 sec cast for 2.2k or 3 sec cast for 6500 Smiley think its just nyte being a nub!
chemten
official /gquit machine

99645571 michael.boeckelmann@hp.com chemten10 chemten10
Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

I as a pally healer have +1200+ hrealing and i pull no aggro almost at all even when i crit for 1.5 sec cast for 2.2k or 3 sec cast for 6500 Smiley think its just nyte being a nub!

you forget how healing aggro differs for paladins compared to druids...

the official "i want to steal your phat lewts" fan club member
stealing your epics since 2004.
Avid
Official Guild Sexy

Demosthenes21
Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »

CRAP I AGGROED!!!

/fient

OUCH, didnt work

/vanish
/sprint

Srry priest *squish*
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:20:42 AM by Avid » Logged

Thalmar

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »

I know chem just giving her a hard time
Jahira
Guild Member

Jahira Jahira
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:33 AM »

I get a good bit of attention ... enough so that i equip the Jewel of Charismatic Mystique full time to give me a second chance to ditch agro if fade is down or bounces.

Fuscha

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: